How Much Does It Cost to Restore Your Hair?
If you're experiencing hair loss or thinning, you may wonder how much it will cost to restore your hair. The answer to this question varies depending on several factors, including the extent of your hair loss and the type of treatment you choose. For example, one of the most popular hair restoration options is hair transplant surgery, which can range from $4,000 to $15,000 depending on the number of grafts needed. Other options include non-surgical treatments like hair loss medications and low-level laser therapy, which can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars annually.
Factors that Affect Surgical Hair Restoration Cost
Different hair restoration procedures are available, and the cost can vary depending on which one you choose:
- Follicular Unit Grafting (FUG): This procedure involves removing a strip of skin from the back of your head and transplanting hair follicles into the balding area. The average cost for FUG is around $4,000 to $15,000.
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), such as NeoGraft: FUE removes individual hair follicles from the donor area and transplants them into the balding area. The average cost for FUE is around $5,000 to $20,000.
The extent of your hair loss can also impact the overall hair restoration cost: the more hair you need to restore, the more time and effort it will take, which can increase the price. Here are some standard levels of hair loss and their average costs:
- Minor hair loss involves restoring a small area of hair loss, such as the hairline. The average cost for minor hair loss restoration is around $2,000 to $5,000.
- Moderate hair loss involves restoring a larger area of hair loss, such as the crown—the average cost for mild hair loss restoration is around $5,000 to $10,000.
- Severe hair loss involves restoring a large area of hair loss, such as the entire scalp. The average severe hair loss restoration costs around $10,000 to $20,000.
Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Procedures and Their Costs
Several non-surgical hair restoration procedures are available, each with varying costs:
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy involves injecting a concentration of the patient's blood platelets into the scalp to stimulate hair growth. The cost can range from $500 to $2,500 per session, with multiple sessions usually required.
- Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) involves emitting low-level laser light to stimulate hair growth. The cost can range from $200 to $1,000 per session, with multiple sessions required.
Insurance Coverage for Hair Restoration
Generally, insurance plans will only cover hair restoration procedures considered medically necessary. This means that if your hair loss is due to a medical condition or injury, such as alopecia or burns, your insurance plan may cover the cost of the procedure. However, if your hair loss is simply due to genetics or aging, it is unlikely that your insurance plan will cover the cost of the procedure.
Before undergoing any hair restoration procedure, check with your insurance provider to determine what coverage is available. Dr. Halaas can also help determine if your hair loss is due to a medical condition or injury your insurance plan may cover.
Hair Restoration with Dr. Yael Halaas
Restoring your hair can be a significant investment, but it can also be a life-changing decision. It is a long-term investment in your appearance and confidence, and the results can be transformative, boosting your self-esteem and improving your quality of life. During your consultation with Dr. Halaas, you’ll be given an estimated cost after determining which method best suits your needs.
As the number one female hair restoration surgeon on the East Coast, Dr. Halaas can help men and women experiencing hair loss find the right treatment for their needs. She offers surgical options like Neograft and Laser Hair Therapy and non-surgical options like Dr. Halaas’s Formula YH, developed to restore the hair and scalp to normal function.
Contact us today to schedule your consultation!