Dr. Halaas is able to expertly reconstruct the nose to ensure functionality and help you achieve a more aesthetically-pleasing appearance.
There are multiple theories as to the cause of a cleft nose including:
- It is possible nose clefts are caused by a disorder in the migration of neural crest cells, which are specialized cells in the early stages of embryonic development.
- Nose clefts may be caused by failure of the fusion process with inward growth of the mesoderm, the middle layer of an embryo, in early development.
- A third theory is that genetics play a part in the development of facial clefts.
- It is also felt that nose clefts may have an origin in the amniotic bands, which may interfere with normal embryonic development by encircling and constricting growth of parts of the baby’s body.
- Cleft noses may have an origin from a combination of these factors.