The beach, the sea, the sun. The relaxing days of summer can be rejuvenating for the soul. But time in the sun and surf can damage the hair and leave it brittle. During the summer, the hair needs some extra care and protection. Here are some tips to keep your locks luxurious during the hottest season.
● Fight the frizz. Hydrate the hair with replenishing conditioner. For curls or hair that tends to be dry, apply a leave-in conditioner to lock in moisture.
● Go easy on your tresses. To avoid over stripping your hair, wash it with a non-detergent shampoo or cleansing conditioner. The gentle lathering and massaging action will cleanse your scalp and lift dirt from your hair–no need for shampoos with sulfates or other harsh ingredients.
● Minimize the heat. It is hot enough during the summer. Consider giving your hair a rest from other heat-intensive styling tools such as blow dryers and flat irons. To simplifying your styling routine, let your hair air dry and go for a natural, beach wave look.
● Keep to the essentials. Treat your parched hair to a few drops of fortifying of essential oils. Oil such as argan oil can be a welcome elixir that promotes strong, silken strands.
● Get to the root of it. For dry, damaged hair, nothing beats a mask to help repair the hair and prevent future breakage. A thick cream mask containing strengthening ingredients such as antioxidants, keratin, and proteins can help you restore a glossy shine.
● Trim the ends. Overdrying causes weakness, which can cause hair to break and inhibit growth. When the hair is dry and lackluster, it helps to get rid of the dead ends. A small trim of the ends will keep the strands stronger, without sacrificing length. In the long run, hair will grow in healthier and more quickly.
● Wear a swim cap. Saltwater and chlorinated water can wreak havoc on the hair. Just like your skin, your hair needs to be shielded from the elements. If your hair is especially dry, consider wearing swimming cap. If you prefer to let loose, then be sure to rinse your hair as soon as possible after dipping in at the beach or pool.
If you follow all of these tips, you and your hair can both have a great Summer. But if you’re feeling like you can use the extra help, feel free to contact Dr. Halaas for a consultation. We have hair treatment solutions for you.
Written by Dr. Halaas