How to Properly Remove Makeup and Sunscreen
It is late, you are just returning from a marathon workday that included a long dinner with a client. You are so exhausted that even thought of anything more involved than a quick splash of water to your face with water seems like a herculean task. It is easy to cut corners after a night out– or even a night in watching Netflix.
Don’t, warns Dr. Yael Halaas, one of New York’s top plastic surgeons. Dr. Halaas stresses that the proper removal of makeup should be a part of your regular beauty routine, safe from the last minute sacrifice. Dr. Halaas warns that when you leave makeup and/or sunscreen on for extended periods of time, it can lead to skin irritation (think pimples), inhibit the rejuvenation process (think wrinkles), and potentially infection (think eye infections).
So what is the proper way to remove makeup and sunscreen? Here are some tips on how to cleanse and freshen the face at the end of the day:
- The Prep. Before you cleanse, use a wipe or pre-cleanser to remove your makeup. Debris builds up during the day, mingling with makeup and protective sunscreen. Gently removing the environmental grit and surface layer dirt before you wash will give your skin a chance to breathe, making the cleansing process more effective.
- The Eyes. The most sensitive area of the face, the eyes require special attention. Because the skin around the eyes is delicate, it is important not to rub the eyes. A better solution is to dab the eye area with a cotton ball moistened with eye makeup remover. If the eye makeup is stubborn, hold a thoroughly soaked cotton ball over the area to loosen it, and then remove mascara, shadow, and liner with a gentle motion.
- The Full Cleanse. Once you have wiped your face clean and removed eye makeup, wash away the remaining impurities with a non-irritating cleanser and water.
- The Pat Dry. Gently blot your face dry, being careful not to rub or tug the skin.
- The Moisturizer. As a final step, help your skin repair overnight with a rich moisturizing product.
Establishing a proper makeup removal routine will help keep your skin blemish-free and aid in the skin’s rejuvenation process.