Many individuals choose a brow lift because they’re bothered by their severe, tired, or sad expression. This often happens with age as the forehead begins to look heavier and slope downward.
The Brow Lift Procedure
With age, many individuals begin to notice their brows descending downward on the face. This sloping, along with horizontal forehead lines, can create an exhausted, sad, or unfriendly expression. A brow lift (forehead lift) is a surgical procedure designed to lift the eyebrows to create an appearance that’s more inviting and refreshed. As a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon serving the Westchester and NYC area, Dr. Yael Halaas has the ability to achieve a much improved, natural-looking brow area for you.
Benefits of a Brow Lift
- Restore the original position of the eyebrows
- Lift and re-position the brow line
- Improve the appearance of horizontal forehead lines
- “Open up” the eyes
- Tighten the forehead skin
- Reduce a tired, angry, or sad resting face
- Remove excess tissue and heaviness from the upper eyelid area
- Achieve a more refreshed, younger-looking appearance
How much does a brow lift cost?
Brow surgery fees may vary, based on the extent of the work performed and on whether any other procedures are undergone in tandem. The cost of a brow lift in NYC may range from $6000-$10,000 and will include the surgeon’s fees, facility fees, anesthesia fees, and others. Dr. Halaas will provide you with a custom quote after your private consultation.
Am I a candidate?
You may be a candidate for a brow lift in NYC if:
- You suffer from sagging brows that create a fatigued or disgruntled facial expression
- Your low-hanging brows are impairing your vision
- You have lines, folds, creases, and wrinkles on the forehead
- You are looking to enhance the results of a facelift or blepharoplasty procedure
- You are a non-smoker, or you are willing to quit for 4-6 weeks before and after surgery
- You are physically and emotionally healthy
- You are free from any significant medical concerns
- You have a realistic attitude towards your surgery
- You are willing to follow Dr. Halaas’ instructions
Types of brow lift
During your consultation, Dr. Halaas will discuss which brow lift technique is best for you. This will be determined by your specific hairline, your areas of concern, your personal aesthetic goals, and Dr. Halaas’ expert opinion.
Coronal brow lift
In this technique, an incision is made from ear to ear across the top of the head and back in the hairline. Through this incision, the tissues are trimmed, the muscles are tightened and re-positioned, and a 1-2 cm strip of scalp is removed. Excess skin is removed, the skin is then re-draped and the incision is closed.
- This technique lifts the eyebrows
- This technique raises the hairline, so may not be appropriate for people with a high forehead or receding hairlines
- Patients may experience numbness to the top of the head for approximately six months
- Results are permanent
- Incision is hidden within the hair
Endoscopic brow lift
An endoscopic brow lift uses 4-6 1-inch incisions behind the hairline. A tiny camera called an endoscope is inserted into each incision, which enables visualization of the muscles. With this technique, the scowl-causing muscles can be weakened — but the muscles that cause horizontal forehead lines cannot. No scalp is removed; rather, it’s lifted upward and backward and then secured in this position.
- This technique may need to be repeated over time
- This technique does not cause temporary numbness to the top of the head
Subcutaneous brow lift
The incision for this technique is made across the top of the head at the hairline. Through this incision, muscle alterations are made, and excess skin is removed.
- This technique does not alter the hairline
- There is no top-of-the scalp numbness with this technique
- A finely-visible scar will be visible across the top of the forehead
Direct brow lift
A great option for those with receding hairlines or anyone with deep forehead lines, the direct brow lift uses an incision that is made in one of the horizontal forehead creases, just above the eyebrows.
- Results are permanent
- Incision is hidden within natural forehead crease
- There may be some numbness
Non-Surgical Brow Lift
A non-surgical brow lift can be performed with BOTOX, an injectable typically used to combat dynamic facial wrinkles. BOTOX is made with botulinum toxin that temporarily incapacitates the tiny facial muscles (the procerus and the orbicularis) responsible for pulling the brows and forehead downward. Your treatment plan is carefully crafted to ensure that your non-surgical brow lift goes far enough in achieving your desired changes but not so far as to alter your individuality or cause you to look unnatural in any way.
Brow lift surgery details
Dr. Halaas performs a brow lift with the patient under local or general anesthesia (this will be discussed during your consultation, along with which type of brow lift you will be having). The procedure takes 1-2 hours, and is an outpatient surgery. To recover comfortably, we recommend taking 10 days off from work.
Brow Lift Recovery
After the first few days, you will be able to work from home; for another 5-7 days, the most obvious swelling and bruising disappear.
During the first week, you may experience headaches, numbness, bruising, swelling, and nausea, but you will be given instructions to help you during your recovery. Our staff will also be available to answer any questions you have. You can expect to see final results in approximately four months.
Brow Lift FAQs
Will I look too “surprised” after a brow lift?
It’s very important to Dr. Halaas to not only understand and agree with your vision, but to also achieve the most natural-looking outcome possible for you. She will use her experience and skill to deliver an appearance that’s not surprised, but rather refreshed and rejuvenated.
Can a brow lift be combined with other procedures?
A brow lift can be performed with other cosmetic surgeries to ensure a youthful look in both the upper and lower face. These treatments might include blepharoplasty, facelift, neck lift, and rhinoplasty. In addition, we can combine non-surgical treatments such as a chemical peel or a HydraFacial to enhance your complexion. Whatever your cosmetic needs, Dr. Halaas will create a personalized treatment plan geared to help you look and feel your best.
Will the scars be visible?
Brow lift incisions are usually very well hidden, and are only known to the patient. You can find out more about the exact incisions you’ll be receiving during your consultation with Dr. Halaas.