Acne Scar Removal with Infini High Intensity Radiofrequency
Acne is one of the most common skin disorders and it often leaves marks, which are visible even years after the pimples are gone. When your skin is traumatized by cystic acne, the healing process does not always go smoothly. Scars can form when deeper layers of the skin are injured by severe acne. When the injury is deep, the body will produce collagen to repair the skin. The result is uneven skin texture. As our skin loses some of its collagen as part of the natural aging process, acne scars become more visible.
Dr. Halaas is proud to be one of the first facial plastic surgeons in New York to offer the newest technology to reduce the appearance of acne scars – Infini RF.
The Infini Fractional RF device triggers skin regeneration to even your skin texture and “fill” scars. This FDA-cleared device combines radiofrequency technology with a unique gold-coated microneedle system, which enables the RF heat energy to be delivered precisely. This translates to highly customizable treatments, faster recovery times, and a reduced risk of pigmentation. In addition, the Infini Laser is safe for all skin types, unlike chemical peels and some other laser treatments, which cannot be used on darker or tanned skin.
Main Types of Acne Scars
The shape of an acne scar is effected by the amount of collagen produced by the body in attempt to heal itself:
- Ice pick scars. Small and slender, this type of acne scars looks like punctures in the skin.
- Pitted scars. This type of acne scars looks like a depression in the skin.
- Box car scars. Recognizable by its sharply defined borders, this type of acne scar looks like a chicken pox scar.
- Rolling scars. This type of acne scar is characterized by and continuous (rolling) depressions and smooth edges.
Treatments for Acne Scars
The most common treatment for acne scars are over-the-counter creams and ointments. In most cases, these treatments result in minimal improvement over a long period of time. New York City board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Halaas often sees patients who look for faster and more effective solutions to reduce the visibility of acne scars. In addition to Infini Fractional RF treatment, these are other popular options:
- Microdermabrasion is a skin resurfacing procedure that is can be used to treat acne scars. During the procedure an exfoliating instrument is used to remove the outer layer of the skin and expose a smoother, new layer of skin. This treatment will not result in a substantial, permanent improvement to your condition.
- Chemical peels are topical treatments in which a liquid is applied to the face. The chemical solution prompts the surface layer of the skin to blister and shed, revealing new skin. The peels do not address collagen deficits in deeper skin layers.
- Fractional laser treatments deliver pulses of high-energy light to promote new collagen production to improve skin texture and smooth out scars. Infini is a better option as there is less downtime with similar long term results.
- Dermal fillers can be injected to help smooth out depressed areas. Dr. Halaas often uses injectables to address small areas that need improvement in skin texture. Most fillers are temporary and the treatment needs to be repeated when the effect wears off.
If you suffer from visible acne scars and would like to make them less visible, contact the NYC office of Dr. Halaas at (212) 688-5955 to schedule your consultation.